Sunday, January 1, 2017

OUR HOME CLUB; January 1906

DAILY REST HOUR--

I was glad to see that my practice of taking a little time daily for rest was practically endorsed by at least one of the writers for The Farmer's Wife. Every day after the dinner work is done up I lie down for from a half an hour to an hour.

Sometimes I do not fall asleep, but generally I get a few moment's sleep, which is most refreshing and I get up really feeling like a new woman. In the summer time, when the days are long and we are up early, I often lie down awhile in the forenoon, and get rest that is needed to help me through the morning. Of course there is work for every moment of the day, but if I tried to work all day without rest I should soon be obliged to go to bed and leave all undone. By never missing my rest hour I keep well enough to manage my housekeeping with the children's help. While I am lying down they play quietly and are careful not to disturb me. Try my plan, some of you busy, overworked mothers of the Home Club and take a new lease of life and cheerfulness.

TO BASHFUL BILL--

Just "speak up like a man," and tell the young lady the state of your feelings toward her and your wish to make her your wife. From her acceptance of your attentions the past year, I think there is little doubt but that she may answer as you wish. Leave the details of the ring until afterwards, she will undoubtedly be glad to be consulted. There is no formula for proposing marriage, every man does it in his own way, and generally has no trouble in making himself understood. Sure of your success, we send hearty congratulations.

WOMEN AS MILKERS--

The idea seems to prevail extensively in the United States that milking is not proper work for a woman. We cannot but think that it is somewhat unfortunate. The girls growing up in the household ought to learn to milk. Such work is not beyond their strength, though they should not be required to carry pails of milk. By assisting in this exercise girls will be encouraged in habits of industry. Many of them seem to think it is undignified to engage in such work. Such a view is not well grounded. Labor that is right and proper is always ennobling and no one should be ashamed to perform it. Every girl, therefore, brought up on the farm should be as carefully instructed in the art of milking as she is in performing on a musical instrument.

There is another reason why women should take a share in the milking. Cows as a rule, will give more milk in a given time when the milk is drawn by women. This is owning to the more gentle way in which they go about their work. Men are oftentimes harsh and petulant when cows are refractory: women are more patient. Let no young girl on an American farm blush to acknowledge that she is able to milk a cow.