Tuesday, September 6, 2016

WE'VE GOT EACH OTHER; Illinois; 1929

Dear Farmer's Wives:

Two years ago I suffered severely with a stroke of--no, not paralysis--discontent. I suffered as much as if I had had a much more serious ailment, to say nothing of what my family bore.

Yes, I was blue and discontented. I lamented my lot as a farmer's wife, a servant, a drudge, a "stick in the mud." Same old housework day after day! Nothing to strive for, nothing to win!

I railed at my good, farmer-lad husband until he--well, he won't quarrel, so he just stayed out of my way as much as he could. Finally, as much for his benefit as my own, he urged me to take a vacation. My work had been heavy all summer, he said, and I needed a change. Of course selfish pig that I was, I never stopped to think that his had been just as heavy and that he needed a rest as well as I. But after threshing I shoved the extra burden of cooking and housekeeping over on him, packed, and with the kiddies left for Cousin Maud's in the city.

I wanted to try city life. It was so alluring in books and stories. I wanted to see it--hear it,--live it.

Dear Readers, I'm glad I went. Did I have a good time?

Well, the first day, I stayed in bed all day with a sick headache because the noise from the street kept me awake most of the night after our arrival.

The second day, a darling little boy was run over by an automobile, directly in front of Cousin Maud's house. He was on his way to school--and was carried home, dying.

The third day, while Cousin Maud was away on an errand, the pale, little neighbor-woman, who had come out for a breath of air, wandered over to the porch, where I was sitting and told me her story.

An ex-school teacher, she was, who had to give up her work because she faced possible blindness. The stalwart young man, who loved her, took her to a tiny cottage in the suburbs where they were married and were so happy until a ghastly siege of inflammatory rheumatism left him helpless, a cripple, unable to use either limb. She struggled on, eking out a living for the two as long as she could and when their baby arrived, one little foot was a club foot--

"Oh," she said, "it has been hard, but we're so happy. You see, we've got each other--and we've got the baby."

The fourth day--I went home! And after the surprise was over, for we surely did surprise Daddy, and I had placed a hot beefsteak-supper on the table, I stood watching my big, healthy, ruddy-faced husband who looked so happy and so good to me, and my two little boys, with their fat, perfect legs dangling from the chairs, that were a trifle too high.

"Fool!" I said to myself. "Oh, worse than fool! 'Count your many blessings.' You didn't dream how many you had!"


Jodi/CO said...

O thank you for posting again!! I have missed you. I check every day. Many blessings to you for this encouraging work you do.

Betty said...

Great piece to read this morning - great way to start the day! Many thanks - have missed your musings!

Anonymous said...

I to have missed you and have counted all my blessings this a.m. Thank you so much.

Florence said...

what a lovely story,,,,how blessed we be to have what we have,,,,,

matty said...

Have missed your posts! They uplift this little farmer so much.... Thanks!

Laurie Aaron Hird said...

Thank you all for the kind comments. I've missed posting, too, but life just got in the way. I hope not to disappear again for a good long time. Thanks for the encouraging words.