Wednesday, December 30, 2015

A NEW BOOK!! THE BIBLE SAMPLER QUILT

Greetings Everyone,
For the past year, I have been busy working on my fourth book (and not posting on my blog!) I departed from The Farmer's Wife theme this time and instead used the Bible in the letter portion of the book. There are ninety-six Bible passages and when taken in their entirety, give a surprisingly complete overview of the Bible with most of the major events and people represented. Each of the ninety-six passages is paired with a "Bible themed" six-inch classic quilt block.




Genesis 1-1:4                           Quilt Block: Heavenly Puzzle (the center blue and pink block)
In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the spirit of God moved upon the face of the water. And God said, Let there be light: and there was light. And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.
Luke 2:1-7                               Quilt Block: City Streets (the top right pink, red and green block)
And it came to pass in those days, that there went out a decree from Caesar Augustus, that all the world should be taxed. (And this taxing was first made when Cyrenius was governor of Syria.) And all went to be taxed, every one into his own city. And Joseph also went from Galilee, out of the city of Nazareth, into Judaea, unto the city of David, which is called Bethlehem; (because he was of the house and lineage of David:) to be taxed with Mary his espoused wife, being great with child. And so it was, that, while they were there, the days were accomplished that she should be delivered. And she brought forth her firstborn son, and wrapped him in swaddling clothes, and laid him in a manger; because there was no room for them in the inn.

I have completed all of the paperwork and the quilt is done, so I am in the proofreading stage now. The book is due to be released in the fall of 2016 with its formal title to be decided in the not-too-distant future. It's been a blessing to work on this book and I'm really looking forward to seeing it in print!

19 comments:

Jayne Honnold said...

Sounds like an exciting project! I made most of the blocks in the first book, and sorta' have an idea of the intense nature of what you are doing. I found my sewing room quite a mess after making so many scrappy blocks. Good luck on your finish!

Liz Morgan said...

How wonderful Laurie! I cannot wait for the book to come out. Congratulations!

Lane Hill House said...

I want to know when this is ready! Beautiful project with meaning! Kathleen ~ Lane Hill House

ddavis said...

Laurie, the Farmer's Wife 30's Quilt Sampler was the very first quilt I chose to make. I love it because the letters make it so meaningful, thank you. I'll be waiting for your newest especially because you built it on the Bible.

Carin said...

Sounds like a wonderful quilt again.
Happy New Year !

Betty said...

This one really sounds great and I look forward to working on it - love your "tease"! I now have all three books (the Pony Club arrived on Christmas Eve), love working on my FW blocks and like doing just blocks (vs. whole quilts) for a change. As always, your narrative is what makes your work so special - many thanks!

Bobbi D. said...

So excited! I will be first in line, lol. :)

Dobieslady1 said...

What a fantastic idea!! I have seen a BOM using the Bible, but your book sounds wonderful and I will be sure to buy it!
j_dobler@msn.com

matty said...

What a wonderful project! I can't wait to see it! I have missed your blog posts. I look forward to reading letters and stories from the past. They feel like home to me!

Nancy said...

I am looking forward to reading your new book even if I don’t make the quilt. I have enjoyed the stories in your previous books.

PAT GODKIN said...

What a good way to incorporate meaning into your heirloom quilt. Very special.

GO STARS! said...

Awesome! I can't wait for the book to come out!

Sandra Henderson said...

Wonderful news! I can't wait!!!! Thank you

Laurie Aaron Hird said...

Thank you everyone for your kind comments! I can't tell you how much they are appreciated. Love to you all!

Carin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Margaret Dukes said...

Laura, will the new book include a CD for paper piecing (hopefully!)

Lane Hill House said...

I will be watching for it! Thank you. Kathleen ~ Lane Hill House

Laurie Aaron Hird said...

Yes, Margaret, the CD will have paper piecing patterns along with templates, full-size line patterns and rotary cutting measurements whenever possible. Thanks for the question.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for writing this book! Am so looking
forward to making the quilt