Friday, July 29, 2011

GOING TO COLLEGE; Ima Farmer; part 2; 1930

Some boys have taken time off to work on public works, or in the western wheat harvest, starting in the southwest and working north with the crew and the season, until the last of the northern wheat is threshed. I know you will say that such work is dirty and hard, and sometimes degrading. It is--all but the last. A man can be degraded only by the weakness in his own character. My own husband worked during summer vacations for a man who was terribly coarse and obscene. But when my husband told me about it, he said, "Strange as it may seem, it simply steeled me against such things."

Some girls may be able to use the knowledge gained in sewing club to do dressmaking for the girls at school. I accumulated a little money by doing housework in the city. When hunting a job, go to the Y.W.C.A.; it will help you.

There are always a limited number of jobs around a college for the girl who wishes to work her way. When I was a student I waited tables, worked in the office, stayed of evenings with a professor's children, helped a woman in town with the Saturday housecleaning, and during my last semester, I made sandwiches and sold them to the girls in the dormitory. I have seen girls--orphans, with no one in the world to help them,--working their way and making high honors in scholarship.

To the boy or girl who wants higher training, I say,--go right after it. And keep after it. You may not be able to progress as rapidly as you would like, but the only thing that can actually stop you is you yourself.

No comments: