Monday, May 2, 2011

DAYS WORTH WHILE; part 1 of 2; Mrs. D. W. E., Kansas; 1924

Dear Folks:  I wonder how many farm women have the same habit I found myself in:  Whenever the men folks were all away from home for the day, I would pitch into some big job that I had been dreading and work frantically all day, the children and myself eating a pick-up lunch at noon. The two reasons for this were that I need not stop to cook dinner and wash dishes and that I could get things cleaned up before the men returned.

One morning recently, my husband carried his dinner with him to work in a far-off field, so I let the two school girls also carry their dinner that day. They tripped away blithely, pleased at taking their lunch to school. I turned to my day's work with the thought that now I could put in a long undisturbed day at sewing that was waiting.

The two babies, aged one and a half and four, were playing on the floor. Suddenly the older one got up and looking pleadingly in my face said, "Mamma, you said we would visit school some day when you had time. Don't you have time today?" Immediately the baby chimed in, "Go kool! go kool! I go kool, too." I started to tell them Mother was too busy when the thought struck me how often I answer their eager questions that way. So I said, "Why, yes, let's do go today!"

After tidying the house and getting the three of us into fresh clothes, we went to school. The older girls were so pleased to have us visit them, the teacher was genuinely cordial and I greatly enjoyed  the time spent there.

No comments: