Tuesday, February 15, 2011

WHO ARE THE MASTER FARM HOMEMAKERS? part 5; 1930

Mrs. James H. Cox; Hudson, Illinois:

Believes that amusement problem for farm young people can be partly solved by supplying plenty of recreation at home. Her eight children have well equipped playground, homemade horizontal bar, iron rings, swings and slides, tennis court, magazines, six musical instruments and flower garden. (a flower garden as recreation? interesting. LAH)

Mrs. Harvey N. Mooore; Carthage, Illinois:

"My husband and I discuss and plan our business together; we are both interested in the same things, so it has not been hard to understand each other. I watch the markets, same as he does, and we both plan how to sell to best advantage." Her poultry flock adds to family income.

Mrs. C. W. Couden; Muncie, Indiana:

"My family and I love the farm and would think it a hardship to live elsewhere; I am truly glad for the opportunity to raise my children on the farm. The fact that we labor without some conveniences only makes us more appreciative when we get them. I do not like the idea so prevalent just now that the farm family is an object of pity. The farmer is gradually working out his own relief through cooperation and more careful management."

Mrs. Hugh L. Brownlee; Sylvia, Kansas:

"We take the children with us as we work around the place (a 1,200-acre wheat and stock farm), thus helping create an interest in things of the farm; each child has some particular garden spot that is his own to take care of. We planted 30 forest trees last year."

Mrs. E. M. Perkins; Richmond, Kansas:

"I will think that I have been a success if the children grow up to be honorable citizens, who are public spirited, generous minded, satisfied to a certain extent, able to take care of themselves and willing to help the less fortunate."

Mrs. Roy Hamilton; Mayfield, Kentucky:

"I measure a homemaker's success by her ability to spend some time with the children, some for church and social work and some for rest and reading--a real job, I'll admit." Oldest of her three sons is state president of 4-H clubs. Her family cooperates to promote community good.

Miss E. Erin Montgomery; New Concord, Kentucky

Since death of her mother has mothered six brothers and sisters, kept family together and helped five of the children get some college education. Takes time to read and rest some each day "for the sake of the family's happiness as well as for my own health."

(This unselfish woman gets the homemaker's prize for me. LAH)

Mrs. L. B. Oldham; Owensboro, Kentucky:

"We have tried in many ways to teach children to appreciate country living. When they were young they belonged to an Audubon club. We read nature books with our children, go on hikes with them and wedge in as much recreation and amusement as can be done on a busy farm." Active in community affairs.

(I wish that I had all this advice for raising a family when all my children were young. LAH)

No comments: