Monday, November 22, 2010

JANET MAKES HER OWN WAY; part 7; Mabel Hester Green, 1929

Western Union Telegram:
Miss Martha Ellsworth,
South Bend, Indiana.
Made grades, even math.

February 11, 1929
Dearest Mart:
Thank you so much for the $50 for my fees. It was both a surprise and a relief. You certainly are the dearest sister anyone ever had. Janet.
P.S. I did make the team.--J.

February 21, 1929
Dearest Mart:

Mr. Ferber has employed me as a stenographer in the bookstore!
I have given up my waitress job. No need to worry quite so much over money now. The new position means work and will take lots of time--but it means steady work with a chance of promotion. Of course, it doesn't make me rich but it's a big lift.
Congratulate me.

Miss Pentree has thawed out to a certain extent. I think we may get to be friends some day. Some of the girls always will be snobbish toward me, I fear, but I find I really have more friends than I ever expected after waiting tables a semester.--Janet.

March 18, 1929

I haven't written for a long time, have I?
I've been a busy girl. Midterms are near again. They will not be the horrible bugbear they were to me last semester. I've studied more regularly.

Jim is as faithful as ever, but I don't seem to rate a lot of dates--big men on the campus.

I have my little group of girl friends but not the many that some of the girls have. You remember I promised Father not to join a sorority this year. That was a waste of words. A girl who works hasn't a show with sorority girls. Outside of Miss Pentree and one or two others, no organized girls pay any attention to me.

I'm resigned, though I do love the fluff and flutter of social life.

Don't tell, but I always walk rapidly past shop windows.

Wearily yours, Janet

April 16, 1929
Dearest Mart:

Please burn that pessimistic letter I wrote yesterday. Just when I was pining away for spring clothes, Father and Mother sent me a new hat and dress--a birthday present they said. The dress was a made-over freshened up with a little new material but it's pretty, and stylish, and no one need ever know what its past has been. How do Father and Mother manage when money is so scarce at home?

I am going to a party tonight to celebrate the acquisition of new finery.

Excitedly, Janet.

May 1, 1929
Mart Dearest:

Mr. Ferber has promoted me and raised my pay.

Gee, I'm glad. I sure have been working hard at that store. We've begun ordering Commencement invitations and filling seniors in caps and gowns. I'm worn out every night before I begin on my lessons. And term reports due and no time to get them written in decent style. Oh me, oh my! Such is collitch life for the working "goil."


Laurie Aaron Hird said...

I wonder how many of us would be so excited and content with just "one" new outfit? And not even new!

(Patchworksails) said...

Laurie I would , if it was God's authentic true covering for me !!! Just His covering is all I need or want !!! I really enjoy your story posts..

Laurie Aaron Hird said...

What more can I say than, Amen!! Thanks for your comment. :)