Monday, November 8, 2010

JANET MAKES HER OWN WAY; part 3; by Mabel Hester Green; 1929

Memorial Hall
October 26, 1928

Dearest Mart:

The shops in this town are simply marvelous!

I can't walk past them without stopping to gaze wistfully. Sis, I do love pretty clothes.

You know what is coming!

Yes, I did. I might as well confess that I yielded to temptation.

It was a little striped flannel and only cost $15 and then I bought a little felt hat to match. All the girls have felt hats and I really need a school bonnet. Now--scold away!

You asked whether I was getting acquainted or not. I know our next door neighbors now. There is Miss Elizabeth Pentree, a Chi Theta pledge, whose fair, thin-nosed, blue-blooded ancestors came over on the Mayflower. She is quite friendly to me, but I saw her turn up her dainty nose a trifle when she was introduced to Sarah. (Sarah is waiting tables at the Hall.) I can see now the supercilious toss of the head of Miss Pentree will give me if I start working. I hope Father does send me some money soon.

Isabell Bonham, Miss Pentree's roommate, is a little doll with loads of fluffy-duffy clothes. I think her slang and lipstick rather grate on Miss Pentree's nerves.

I love school, Sis, but I'm worried about finances. Why do you suppose Father doesn't send me some money? Mother's last letter said that he had sold some wheat. I wrote that the $100 was almost gone--Janet.

Memorial Hall
October 10, 1928

Ma Cherie:

Bonjour. Comment vous portez-vous? See how fast I'm learning French?

You seemed worried in your last letter about my grades. You think I'm going to too many dances, don't you, old dear? And you think I should be conservative with the remains of my $100 and start looking for a position.

Well, we only go to college once and I'm having such lovely times!

And, listen--deep, dark secret--the $100 is almost gone. It won't be long now.

I sent Father a special last night explaining that I didn't want to work unless I just had to because all the girls would look down on me. And besides, I don't know any kind of work to do. Yours in anxiety.--Janet

October 12, 1928

Dear Mart:

The $100 is going fast. I haven't heard from Father.--Janet

October 14, 1928

Dearest Sis:

It's gone!!!--Janet.

No comments: