Monday, November 15, 2010

JANET MAKES HER OWN WAY; part 5; by Mabel Hester Green, 1929

From Laurie: Please note that this story was written and published before the Great Depression. It seems that some farmers had a hard time of it, depression or not. It is a good reminder that honest hard work should not be looked down upon.

November 1, 1928

I've had to come to it! Picture to yourself your fastidious little Janet tripping into the great dining-room with a huge tray of soup bowls. Even if we were raised on a farm we never had much practice in waiting tables. But, my dear, I haven't dripped coffee down anyone's neck yet.

By the way, things must be getting desperate at home. Something Mother wrote gave away the fact that she's let her hired girl go. Poor Mother! I wish I hadn't written those letters begging for money. I'll not ask for any more, though. From now on, I've got to go it on my own, no matter how hard it is.

Well, working is just like I said. Miss Pentree sniffed and Isabell looks the other way when I pass her in the hallway,--the little snob! But Miss Douglas, the chaperon I just adore, partly made up for it. She shook hands after the first meal and said, "Bravo, Janet. I knew you were a brick. We're glad you decided to stay in school."

Of course, Sarah stands by me. She's a dear. I'm learning to appreciate her so much that I can forget the mannish clothes.

If the girls would still be my friends I think I would be happy in spite of everything.--Janet

P.S. Waiting tables only pays my board. I still must rack my brain for more work. Thank goodness, I'm pretty well supplied with clothes. I wanted a new coat, but I can wear the one Father bought for me last winter.

November 6, 1928

I have found the plan! I'm going to be sandwich man for the Hall.

You know I always loved to make fancy little things for picnics and lunches. Brother always had me pack his picnic basket because I could make such appetizing sandwiches.

Here's the scheme. Just before we go to bed at night every one gets just starved. At that psychological moment I appear in the hallway laden with a basket of dainty sandwiches, big red apples, and candy (I make part of the candy in my chafing dish and part I buy in the bulk.)

Listens well, doesn't it? And best of all, it works! I've been mobbed every night this week. It will more than pay my room rent. I love to do it, too. I must make some sandwiches now. Janet

November 11, 1928
My Dear Preacheress:

So you are still worried about my studies?

I am, too.

Your sermon has sunk deep in my heart. I must study. Midterms are next week.--Janet


Mary @ Neat and Tidy said...

Laurie, I just love reading these!

Laurie Aaron Hird said...

What an interesting portait of college life in the late 1920s. I think that it has been quite sometime that girls were concerned about little felt hats and carrying soup bowls into the dining hall! :)