Friday, October 29, 2010


Mrs. Rose Schleppi, Columbus, Ohio

Three children; 56-acre dairy farm; born in Germany and spent her girlhood there; married after coming to the United States and moved to present farm. Her husband died but she and the children have operated the farm successfully, although oftentimes she has had to work in the field. Her mother-in-law lived with her many years, and she says of her, "She was one grand woman, we never had a jar." (A Jar?? A fight, perhaps? Laurie)
"Success in homemaking is measured by the way the family keeps interested in the home, and by the principles of right living and the education with which the children are equipped."

Mrs. A. J. Denton, Concord, Tennessee

Eight children; 160-acre farm; four sons above school age are all farming; seven springs on the farm furnish water which is bottled and sold in Knoxville; Mrs. Denton teaches basket making at a girls' camp each summer and sells baskets of her own.
"I want most for my children, when they grow up, good educations, Christians homes, congenial partners and well trained children."

Mrs. L. E. McClung, Rupert, Tennessee

Has two children and is foster mother to an orphan girl; 200 acres of cleared land; has lived forty years on same farm, in the mountains, twenty miles from a railroad; manages the farm and has built up a herd of purebred Jerseys with records in production and show ring; has been active in many organizations.
"I hope to spend my old age here, where I can milk cows, feed folks and chickens, help my fellow men and face the sun when the end comes."

Mrs. Ray Ward, Elkins, Tennessee

Nine children; 130-acre farm; earns $900 a year selling bread, cakes and chickens; takes one week's vacation every year; two of her daughters are "All-Star" 4-H club members; she and her husband are partners in fact as well as in theory "for you can't be anything else and have a real home."
"A homemaker is a success if she has raised a large family to be good, honorable citizens and if they still think 'there's no place like home.'"

Mrs. Asia Watson, Little Falls, Tennessee

Three children; 30-acre fruit and poultry farm, which she and Mr. Watson have changed from a "thicket and briar patch" to an attractive farmstead in ten years; "pet" labor saver is a dish drainer; family often sings together, for she believes "music is oil for the household machinery."

Mrs. Earl Dickerson, Irene, South Dakota

Four adopted children; 440-acre diversified farm; in thirteen years she and her husband have transformed a rocky piece of bare prairie into a high-producing farm with an attractive landscaped farmstead with a comfortable, modern home; her flowers have attracted visitors from many states; has been Sunday School superintendent and has missed attending scarcely a Sunday in fifteen years; her home is a social and recreational center.
"I frequently breathe a silent prayer that God will keep me young in spirit so that I can always be a companion of children."


Mary @ Neat and Tidy said...

This has been an outstanding series. I just love this blog and the book. I am so far behind on sewing my blocks I am almost ashamed! But I will get mine done and plan to work on my blocks at a quilt retreat in a couple weeks.

I hope you'll continue this blog forever :D

Laurie Aaron Hird said...

Hi Mary,
Funny, but I tried to post a comment, but it didn't work so I will try again! The retreat sounds like a lot of fun. I am so pleased that you are enjoying this blog. So far I have over 265 different Farmer's Wife magazines. I hope to blog and publish in book form this great material for many years to come. Lord willing, of course. :) Thanks again.