Monday, October 4, 2010

THE COUNTRY LIFE MOVEMENT 1900-1920

I really appreciated Kathy's comment about understanding her grandmother better because of these prize winning letters. Besides simply loving these letters, they did have a curiosity for me also. The subjects often ran on the same theme and were many times stated in the same way. It seemed to me that these women sat under the same teacher, but how could that be? I have since discovered that there was a movement in the early 1900s that among other things, was a force in encouraging farmers and their families to stay on the farm. To any of you historians who would like to understand this subject better, I will include two links about The Country Life Movement.

http://www.dailyyonder.com/country-life-movement-miles-go/2009/06/24/2189
http://www.archive.org/details/countrylifemove00bailrichm

I am sorry, but due to some computer problems, my postings have been off schedule. I plan to regularly begin my Monday and Friday postings beginning today.

Please accept my thanks to all of you who are reading these letters and articles from The Farmer's Wife magazine. It is a privilege to be able to share the lives of these women who could easily be our mothers, grandmothers, and great grandmothers. They were truly amazing women.

In case you didn't notice, the third place winning letter follows this post.

1 comment:

Mary @ Neat and Tidy said...

Thank you for offering these links. This blog is utterly fascinating and your book will always be one of my favorites. Now if I could only get caught up on my block sewing, it would be my favorite quilt as well.