Friday, September 24, 2010

THE STRENGTH OF THE NATION COMES FROM THE SOIL; Mrs. Fannie L. Brundage; Fairfield County, Connecticut

FIRST PLACE LETTER FROM THE "DO YOU WANT YOUR DAUGHTER TO MARRY A FARMER?" CONTEST.

When I compiled The Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt, I did not use the first, second or third place winning letters. Today I will post the first place letter in its entirety.

Yes, even in the light of the hard years I have spent upon the farm, I would be willing for my daughter to marry a farmer because I believe in a constructive policy for farm homes and that true happiness is found in well-rendered service. In something so vitally necessary to the growth and progress of our nation as is agriculture, it is wisest for us farmers not to decry our occupation, nor to make mountains of our difficulties and molehills of our pleasures.

The strength of our nation lies in the youth of our land, and, with intelligent care, nowhere can boys and girls be reared to a sturdier manhood and womanhood than on our farms.

If our men are to till our farms to feed the multitudes, side by side with them must be women to help carry on. Who are better fitted than our daughters who can bring to their task understanding hearts?

"Oh," but I hear some one say, "It is such a hard life?" Have you ever known any great work, of brawn or brain wrought by one seeking the "easy job?" The making of happy farm homes is a great work.

Our government is awaking to the fact that the farmer is to be reckoned with in our national policies. Our home demonstration agents are showing us farm women how to make becoming and inexpensive clothing; the automobile is making it possible to do and see many interesting things--and get home for "chores." On many a lonely farm, our club workers are touching the lives of boys and girls, inspiring them with a keen interest in their work and surroundings.

Last, but not least, the farmer is aroused as he never has been and is speaking for himself. When he shall have spoken wisely enough, I hope the great lack in the life of our farm woman today--ready money--will be filled and she will have machinery to relieve the drudgery of her work and opportunity to enjoy some of the niceties of life. It is her due. To such a life I would gladly give my daughter.

I love the country; take a keen interest in farmer folk; admire their sincerity, quick sympathies, and sane and clean thinking. I find true enjoyment in the changing seasons; the spot where the children find the first hepatica; the bird songs; the beautiful colorings of the skies, the refreshing spring water; the feeling of nearness to the Creator of all things good and beautiful.

Because of this and because I am an American Patriot, I should like to pass this legacy on to my daughter's children.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Thank you for this post -- the winning contest entry. I have read "The Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt" more than once and have been impressed with the attitude of service, gaining happiness and satisfaction through hard work, the spirituality gained through living in the country, and even patriotism. My grandmother, a farmer's wife, was 62 in 1922. Your book has helped me to understand the thinking of that time.