Monday, August 16, 2010

EARNING EXTRA DOLLARS; June 1929

"A STRAWBERRY PATCH OR BUST"

I took a notion last year that I'd set out a strawberry patch or bust. It was one-half acre exactly. When I finished the harvest, I had taken in $367.47. Expense for pickers was $47, at the rate of three cents a quart. I had to market the berries all myself as Hubby was too busy in the fields. Sometimes I made two trips a day to town, a distance of 14 miles. My little girl helped carry them in from the patch.

Oh, yes, of course I had to neglect my housework, but now after it is all over I'm going to make everything clean and pretty and will have a nice little roll in the bank besides.

Does it pay for a farmer's wife to have a business of her own? I'll let the rest of you argue about the question. But I will say that I think that there are some females who need responsibility to make them real women.--Mrs. W.G., Ohio

"THE COOKIE STILL GOES TO MARKET"

My cookies looked very nice with their two raisins shining through the thin wrapping paper. They were taken to our curb market with other farm produce and my husband soon became known as "the cookie man." I sold for twenty-five cents a dozen, but if I lived where eggs were always high, I would get thirty cents. Soon the demand exceeded the supply. They were bought to be mailed as gifts, eaten at curb and even carried home by near neighbors. I also baked shredded-wheat bread in one and one-quarter pound loaves, selling at fifteen cents. One daughter and sometimes two, helped me.

My first venture was only two dozen. These "old-fashioned sugar cookies" can not be bought in shops and I am greatly indebted to The Farmer's Wife (for giving me the idea.)--Another Cookie Lady, New York.

1 comment:

Mary @ Neat and Tidy said...

Even today I'd be happy with an extra $367! I would love to know what the equivalent would be in today's dollars.