Friday, August 13, 2010

DREAMS; by Mary E. Willits; 1931

She used to have a dream,
Of songs that she would sing,
Of silks and diamonds she would wear,
Of all the pleasures wealth would bring.

She used to have a dream
To climb a snow-capped mountain high,
To write a poem of sighing winds,
To paint a sun-splashed western sky.

But all those dreams of yesterday
Have changed, and have become more fair;
The songs she sings are lullabies,
Her wealth--her baby's golden hair.

She has not climbed the mountain's peak,
Nor has the things that wealth can give.
But still she has this great dream left--
To teach her baby how to live.

She used to dream--
Of wealth and power and fame.
And though no crowds will call her great,
God surely knows her name.

5 comments:

gail said...

This is really lovely Laurie,

Blessings Gail

Mary @ Neat and Tidy said...

It starts out kind of sad, but what a beautiful last sentence.

Laurie Aaron Hird said...

Hi Gail and Mary,

This poem reminds me of the silly "goals" that I had when I got married. My life didn't turn out at all to what I expected, but so much better than I could have ever imagined.

Miriam said...

*Smiling through tears*

Laurie Aaron Hird said...

I so understand your comment, Miriam. I'm sure this poem speaks to countless women through the ages. Thanks so much for writing!