Friday, July 2, 2010

THE DIARY OF A DISTRACTED MOTHER; by Sally Sod Herself; part 2; 1927

THURSDAY. Celia will soon be old enough to go to school. So I put up her lunch and let her go and visit today. The others told me she behaved very well. When she came home she put me to the test first.

"Ma," she asked, "do you know how to find least common pernominator?"

I know I had to find the least common denominator at school. But after all these years I had to stop to think and then she said:

"Bosh, Ma, you're just like the kids at school. They can't find it either."

"How did you like the teacher?" I asked.

"All right," she answered "only she doesn't know much. All she did was to ask questions and the kids had to know the answers."

FRIDAY.

"Sewing sewing over this blooming cloth
And many a crooked seam I'll rip
Ere you're a coat again."

With all due apologies to the author of "Sailing." I may not be long on rhyme and rhythm but I feel a great deal more like bursting into song tonight than I did this afternoon. Diary, you know I don't mind sewing on new cloth when I have a good pattern but O, this kind--when you rip up, cut down, clean, turn, dye, press and make over. Anyhow Marie has a new coat--"the very latest model, my dear." Now to set the bread as tomorrow is the big day.

SATURDAY. Well, Diary, what did you think of it? I certainly had my eyes opened. Yes, the club met here. Ten girls the ages of our Leora and Marguerita. Wasn't it awful? Cats. Cats. Every one of them. From the time they first arrived, all the absent ones were discussed. And not much was said in their favor either. I served lunch so I had to leave them for a time. But when I heard their sweet young voices raised in song I just had to stop and listen. Such songs--I heard my old favorites burlesqued almost beyond recognition. First they sang:

"My Bonnie leaned over the gas tank
The depths of its contents to see.
She lighted a match to assist her--
O, bring back my Bonnie to me."

Followed by:

"Just behind the battle, Mother
I am eating Irish stew.
I ate the meat all up, dear Mother
And left the bones for you."

Next they sang Marching Through Georgia. But did they march from Atlanta to the sea? No. They danced the Charleston from Atlanta to the sea. When I asked who composed their songs, there was on big laugh. I must see these girls' mothers. If there is to be such a club it should be for some good instead of just foolishness.

3 comments:

rachel beth harris said...

Im visiting my grandma in allen park, mi-she is 92 years old. When asking about the family and just talking she told me her mother was a writer and wrote some articles for the farmers wife. I googled it not ever hearing about it, she told me to look up sally sod-which was her moms pen name...and this story popped up. I read it to my grandma and she told me she is Celia her mom is talking about. I passed this along to everyone and so far everyone....especially my grandma, was very blessed reading it. My grandma was very happy when i told her i found it on a blog (had to explain what a blog was to her) and she talked about it all night. I had eanted to share thia...thank you! :)

Laurie Aaron Hird said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Laurie Aaron Hird said...

Hi Rachel Beth,

I've had some problems here that have hindered me from writing earlier. I do apologize for the delay. Thank you so much for telling me about your Grandma Celia. Did you know that I was also contacted by another relative of Celia (a great granddaughter?) Sally wrote more articles for the magazine that I have not posted on my blog yet. Maybe soon! Sally was an amazing woman. I can be contacted at thefarmerswifequilt@yahoo.com if you have any questions. Thanks for writing!